Rotator Cuff Tendon Strain
A strained rotator cuff tendon is a common and painful injury. A strain can be a result of overuse or a blow to the shoulder. A strained tendon can also result from an old injury that has not healed properly. The tendons in the rotator cuff can be especially prone to injury in athletes, or people who work or take part in an activity that repeats one shoulder movement over and over. Although the muscles in the rotator cuff itself can be injured, the majority of injuries in the rotator cuff are to the tendons themselves.
The names of the 4 rotator cuff tendons correspond to the muscles that they attach to. They are called the infraspinatus tendon, subscapularis tendon, supraspinatus tendon, and teres minor tendon. These tendons work together to support and stabilize the shoulder girdle. Although not considered part of the rotator cuff, another commonly strained tendon in the shoulder area is the long bicipital tendon.
It is very important to heal a strained tendon properly to decrease the chance of further injury or chronic problems from developing. Re-injury of a strained tendon occurs more easily than the initial injury and there is usually more inflammation around a re-injured tendon than there was during the first injury. A rotator cuff strain left untreated can easily become a chronic problem that disrupts the use of your shoulder for everyday movements, such as putting on clothes or reaching for the remote control.
Grades of Tendon Strains
Like any tendon strain, a rotator cuff strain can be classified depending on the severity of the strain. Strains can vary from a small discomfort with over stretching the muscle to a full rupture.
Grade 1 - Mild Strain
A 'Grade 1' strain feels more like a discomfort within the rotator cuff as opposed to acute pain. With a grade 1 strain there is some stretching or minor tearing of the tendon and/or surrounding tissue. These injuries usually heal quickly if treated properly with a Cold Compress or Ice Pack and a Shoulder T•Shellz Wrap®.
Grade 2 - Moderate Strain
A 'Grade II' strain is an actual partial tear in the muscle or the tendon. It would feel like a sharp pain within the rotator cuff, perhaps even accompanied by a tearing sound. A grade 2 strain occurs when a tendon or muscle is partially torn but still intact. If you have a grade 2 strain, strength in the shoulder is noticeably reduced. Treatment with a Shoulder T•Shellz Wrap® will aid in the healing process, reduce pain and help improve the health of your rotator cuff tissue.
Grade 3 - Rupture or Severe Strain
A 'Grade III' tear causes a very sharp pain within the rotator cuff at the time of the injury. There is also a significant amount of pain when attempting to raise the arm out to the side and possibly when the arm is rotated outwards, or upwards and then outwards. The stability of the shoulder is greatly reduced and pain is evident. Treatment of a complete rotator cuff tendon tear usually requires surgery to rejoin the tendon back to the muscle or bone where it has become severed.
Symptoms of Rotator Cuff Strain
The degree of strain to your rotator cuff tendon will probably affect the symptoms that you experience. They may include:
- Pain in your shoulder when you move it in a specific direction.
- Muscle spasm in the general shoulder area.
- Bruising and swelling in the shoulder area.
- Noticeable loss of strength and functionality in a grade 2 or 3 rotator cuff tendon strain.
What Are The Risks For Rotator Cuff Strains?
- Doing repetitive movements with the shoulder without properly warming up (raking, shoveling, chopping wood, using a hammer).
- Doing daily repetitive shoulder motions with the shoulder during work or sports such as lifting overhead or throwing.
- Middle aged and older population groups.
- Having a hooked acromion or bone spurs in the shoulder area.
Rotator Cuff Strain Treatments - What You Can Do!
If you have a rotator cuff strain, rest is recommended, however, some careful shoulder movement is required to prevent the joint from freezing and losing range of motion. See your doctor or physical therapist for stretches that will not cause further injury to your rotator cuff. Avoid activities that cause pain or may have caused the injury and begin cold compression treatments as soon as possible.
The trick to healing your rotator cuff strain and getting your shoulder back in the best possible condition you can is getting it to heal quick to minimize scar tissue growth - something our T•Shellz Wraps are great at! Even with optimum healing, there is always less elasticity in previously injured rotator cuff tendons, muscles and ligaments. However, if you heal your strain properly and minimize scar tissue build up, your chance of re-injury or chronic shoulder conditions later on is much lower than average.
There are healing tools that can help treat your rotator cuff tendon/muscle strain and speed up the healing process so you can get back to a life without pain and risk of further injury. The use of a T•Shellz Wrap® (Deep Tissue Therapy) will treat scar tissue and promote blood flow to heal your tendon quickly and more completely than other conservative methods available at home.
Although steroid injections may provide temporary relief from the pain of rotator cuff strain they should generally be avoided as they weaken the tendon and may lead to a complete rupture. If you do opt for an injection, doctors usually recommend that you do not participate in strenuous activities for several weeks to reduce the risk of a rupture.
Conservative Treatment Step 1: Reduce The Initial Inflammation
Inflammation is the body's natural response to an immediate shoulder injury and is a normal part of the healing process - helping to reduce tissue infection in the early stages of injury. Swelling, pain, heat sensation, redness, and loss of function are the main symptoms experienced.
The combination of rest, topical pain relief cream and minor amounts of cold therapy is the gold standard in medicine for minimizing tissue damage and reducing inflammation after injury or activity. It serves as a critical bridge into the next phase of the healing process.
Conservative Treatment Step 2: Enhance Blood Flow to the Injured Soft Tissue
Tendons,ligaments, cartilage, and some muscle fibres are dense tissues. As a result, they naturally receive limited blood flow and this is precisely why injuries to these tissues take so long to heal. The challenge is, how do you effectively increase blood flow to these tissues?
- Rigorous exercise is out of the question as it will lead to further injury.
- Heating pads merely provide a surface heat and do not effectively penetrate into the dense tissues.
- Therapy is helpful, but that only happens a few times a week.
It is through the blood that the body carries nutrients, oxygen, and antibodies that injured tissue needs to repair and rebuild. Research shows that electromagnetic energy is a very effective treatment for stimulating blood flow to dense tissues such as tendons, ligaments, muscles, and even vascular portions of cartilage. This dramatically improves the healing process.
Electromagnetic energy is an energy waveform that is absorbed by dense tissue (muscles, tendons, ligaments) and not absorbed much by less dense tissue (fat cells, skin). Absorption of this energy translates to thermal heat, and the body increases blood flow to the area as a response to this heat. This increased blood flow speeds up the healing process, clearing the area of toxins and excess fluid build up, thereby reducing inflammation. More details on this are found further down the page.
Electromagnetic Energy is recognized in scientific circles as a legitimate treatment for many forms of muscle and soft tissue injuries.
Conservative Treatment Step 3: Recognize That Healing is a Process
With dedication, the right tools, and the right information - you will achieve your goal of a sustainable recovery. A combination approach of cold therapy, deep heat treatments, and functional movements will make it happen much more quickly. Healing takes a comprehensive approach and will differ from person to person.
If you have questions, we welcome you to call our office toll-free at 1-866-237-9608 (Continental US), or Internationally at +1-705-532-1671.
The Shoulder T•Shellz Wrap® - Heal Your Shoulder For The Long Term
The best option we came across in our research to accomplish true healing of shoulder injuries is the Shoulder T•Shellz Wrap®. Use of this device results in a dramatic increase in blood flow to the injured tissues located deeper within the body - all in a non-invasive manner.
Have you seen what happens when you add water to a flower wilted from drought? In essence, your injured shoulder is much like a "wilted" flower; your body wants to heal its injury, but needs lots of nutrients to do it. Blood brings new life to your cells by delivering healing nutrients and oxygen that are vital to your tissue. In addition, the blood carries away toxins and cellular waste cleaning the area and healing it faster. Without a good supply of blood, your shoulder simply won't heal properly.
Using a T•Shellz Wrap® will not expose you to the risk of causing further harm to soft tissue like you can when using rigorous exercise. The Shoulder T•Shellz Wrap® accomplishes the goal of enhanced blood flow without the need for intensive exercise and as such reduces your risk of re-injury.
T•Shellz Wrap® = Accelerated Healing Power for Your Shoulder Injury
The Shoulder T•Shellz Wrap® is based on the scientifically validated principal of Electromagnetic energy as we discussed previously. This form of treatment is safe and effective as shown in numerous studies which can be referenced through the National Library of Medicine. Professional athletes and those in the medical field have been users of the technology for decades - it really hasn't been until recently that companies like ours introduced the treatment devices to the home user.
The healing energy from the T•Shellz Wrap® does not absorb into the skin - it absorbs directly into the damaged muscle and soft tissue (as a result, you will not feel the same level of heat on the skin versus a heating pad). The longer wavelength provides the electromagnetic energy wrap with the capability of penetrating deep into the body (well over two and a half inches).
EM energy emitted from the T•Shellz Wrap® is absorbed by high protein tissue (muscle, tendon, ligament, cartilage) and is converted into Kinetic energy - much of this energy being released as heat. Overall, EM energy will warm soft tissues, improve blood circulation, and boost metabolism and enzyme activity. In stimulating localized blood flow to damaged soft tissue, you provide needed oxygen, nutrients, and antibodies to regenerate new, healthy collagen. In addition, you will experience a clearing of toxins and excess fluid build up from the injury site. Over the intermediate term, this helps to reduce incidents of swelling as trapped fluids will be whisked away - reducing pressure on blood vessels.
Using the T-Shell Wrap is truly a unique experience. Within moments of applying a treatment to your injured shoulder, you can feel the healing sensation due to the increase in blood flow deep within the area. During a treatment, and for quite some time after you finish, the treated area will feel relaxed and less painful. It's a very soothing sensation and extremely effective.
Who Should Use the T•Shellz Wrap®
We recommend the use of a T•Shellz Wrap®:
- If you have injured your rotator cuff or other soft tissue in your shoulder, then the T-Shell Wrap will accelerate your healing.
- If you have injured your shoulder and need surgery, then this is exactly what you need after your surgery to help the surgically repaired tissues rebuild for long-term health.
- If you are dealing with conditions affecting your range of motion such as shoulder impingement or even arthritis.
- If you have a chronic shoulder condition that has lasted for years- this device will help start the rebuilding process and help strengthen the surrounding and supporting tissues. Many of our past clients had suffered for years, then were completely amazed at the results only after a few months of treatments.
- If you are still working with an injured shoulder, the T•Shellz Wrap® will help relax injured soft tissue prior to work and after a day at the job.
- If you are still trying to enjoy your favorite activities such as gardening, tennis, golf, etc - use the T•Shellz Wrap® prior to activity to help reduce chances of re-injuring or re-aggravating those targeted tissues.
- If you are suffering from bursitis in your shoulder and want to treat the major source of it (secondary damage to the muscle and tendon surrounding the bursa sac). Through overuse or degenerative changes in the shoulder, the muscle and tendons surrounding the bursa sacs will tighten and constrict. When they do, they place pressure on the bursa, causing it to become irritated. Applying a soothing and deep penetrating energy to the shoulder relaxes the tissues and takes the pressure off the bursa.
- If you are experiencing atrophy in your shoulder and want to reduce the chance of re-injury - this is a perfect treatment to use on a regular basis.
- If you have had stem cell, PRP or prolotherapy treatments and your physician told you to get a radiant energy wrap, then this is exactly what you need.
- If you have injured your shoulder and need surgery, then this is exactly what you need after your surgery (once the surgery wound has healed)
- If you are experiencing atrophy in your shoulder and want to reduce the chance of re-injury while stretching - this is a perfect treatment to use every time before you stretch.
Increased Blood Circulation = Increased Healing Rate
What Else Makes the Shoulder T•Shellz Wrap® So Special?
We believe the T•Shellz Wrap® to be one of the most effective treatments to stimulate blood flow to dense, injured tissues such as muscles, tendons, ligaments, and other similar tissues.
We can promise that you will receive a product that is designed to be safe and does what it is supposed to do...quickly relieve pain and aid in the recovery from tendon, muscle and other soft tissue injuries.
The unit plugs into a standard wall outlet to get its power. The nice thing about the power supply is that the same unit can be used in North America and overseas as well. It has the capability to operate between 110v and 230v.
It has a special signal controller that can be set for 3 different power levels of application (3=High, 2=Medium, 1=Low). The cord is long so you can sit or lie comfortably and watch TV, read or surf the net while you're using it.
Treatments are max 30 minutes in duration and the device can be worn over clothing. This allows you to use the device at work, at home, or really anywhere you have access to an electrical outlet.
A Recap of the Benefits of the T•Shellz Wrap®..
- Can be used on either the Left or Right Shoulder - very versatile
- Targeted treatment of Rotator Cuff, Bursitis, Impingement, Arthritis, etc
- It can be used before exercise to warm up your shoulder to reduce the risk of injury
- FDA Registered medical device for use in home or clinics - very high quality
- Greatly enhances healing of tendons, ligaments, and muscles
- Increases flexibility of tissues (reducing the re-injury factor)
- It soothes pain and whisks away toxins
- Carbon fiber Energy Pad is strong, lightweight, and flexible - contours very easily
- It provides an accelerated healing rate that will save time and money when associated with doctor or physical therapist visits
- it is an outstanding tool for post-surgery rehabilitation, getting you back to work faster
When Should I Use My TShellz Wrap During the Day?
The most common question we receive from individuals prior to purchasing is - how many times a day should I be using my shoulder wraps and when should I be using them? While treatment plans will differ for each individual and their specific injury, there are general guidelines that should be adhered to.
- Use a Cold Compress or Ice Pack when you are experiencing inflammation (usually after exertion or movement of the injury area).
The Shoulder T•Shellz Wrap® would then be used:
- Right after rising from bed in the morning (as this is when it is most stiff)
- Prior to going to bed at night (to relax the shoulder, allowing for better sleep)
- Before you know you will be using your injured joint (going to work, driving, typing, etc).
Stage 3 - In Between Treatments With T•Shellz Wrap®, Apply Our New Fast Acting Pain Relief Cream Called ARNICA INFUSION
Dealing with aches and pains affecting the foot, ankle, leg, knee, hamstring, hip, back, arm, shoulder, elbow, wrist, or hand? If so, then applying the Arnica Infusion to any of these targeted areas will bring about fast relief from the pain and sore tissues. Simply apply a small amount of cream to the body and moments later, you will experience a soothing and comforting sensation over the area.
Arnica Infusion is specially designed to relieve pain due to sore muscles and joints associated with arthritis, backaches, sprains, strains, and bruises. No matter if you are dealing with an acute injury, chronic pain, or a general "flare-up" - you will experience fast relief from pain and inflammation.
This is a product that many of our current MendMeShop customers asked us to develop. So we focused our time and resources over the past few years and came up, with we believe, will be one of more effective, fast acting, topical pain relief creams on the market.
You are likely familiar with some of the standard topical agents on the market as most of our customers use them. The are mass marketed and even found in most department stores now.
Well, we are here to say that Arnica Infusion goes many steps beyond what they offer.
Made in the USA at an FDA registered manufacturing facility, you can be assured that Arnica Infusion is both safe and effective. We only source top grade ingredients while implementing strict quality control checks during every step of the production process. Expect the same high quality that MendMeShop customers have been accustomed to since we started the company in 2005.
The "Cool Blue" formula is the perfect balance between the smooth application of a cream and the effective absorbing factor of a gel. It is not too thick and not too thin - just the right texture. Best of all, it feels very nice on the skin!
Each application of Arnica Infusion feels so comforting and soothing, we are certain it will become an item you will not want to live without.
Conservative treatment tools just like these have been used successfully by thousands of shoulder injury sufferers - just like you.
DTR Therapy = Greatly Increased Blood Flow in Your Injured Shoulder
We believe the use of T•Shellz Wraps for effective treatment of soft tissue shoulder injuries is one of the most under-utilized home treatment options available on the market today. We have thousands of customers that have tried many options out there and have been amazed at how effective and fast the TShellz Wrap treatment can heal soft tissue injuries.
With regular use of the Shoulder TShellz Wrap:
- Your pain will be reduced.
- Your injury will heal at an accelerated rate with reduced potential for re-injury.
- Your corresponding shoulder will have a larger range of motion and increased extensibility of collagen tissue. (Chapter 9 of "Therapeutic Heat and Cold", 4th edition.
(amazon.com link - Ed. Justus F. Lehmann, M.D., Williams, and Wilkin)
Not only does the incorporation of conservative treatments (such as the use of a Cold Compress or Ice Pack and the Shoulder T•Shellz Wrap®) accelerate the healing process, but it helps to prevent long term complications. Pain, lack of mobility, tendinosis, or a complete tendon rupture are some of the more common long term complications that can occur when rotator cuff tendinitis, tendon tears, and other injuries go untreated. By treating your rotator cuff with these treatments, scar tissue becomes softer and the tendons, ligaments and other soft tissue become stronger reducing the risk of chronic problems in the future.
Click HERE to Go To Our Online Store If you have questions, call our office at 1-866-237-9608 (toll free continental US).
The Key Point To Keep in Mind When Treating Your Rotator Cuff Injury
Make Sure That Complete Healing is Your #1 Goal
We all know that if the injury was healed, the pain would go away but what about the opposite situation? If the pain is gone, does that mean the injury is better? Unfortunately, this is not always true.
Too many people only focus on suppressing pain symptoms while providing less attention to the true healing aspects of the body. Experiencing less pain, while obviously a good short-term goal, never equates to underlying healing. Scar tissue can remain for months after one gets to a point of being relatively pain-free. However, as long the weak and brittle scar tissue remains, you are susceptible to re-injury or re-aggravation. Certain motions or movements can cause the weaker tissue to easily tear - resulting in some reversal of the recovery up until that point.
This is why we recommend for people to continue with their doctor or therapist recommended exercises and to continue with mild treatments of the T•Shellz Wrap® for a period of time - to better ensure complete healing.
Ongoing treatments to enhance circulation will soothe, relax and promote healing of your damaged rotator cuff muscles and tendons. Shoulder T•Shellz treatments will also allow your soft tissue to extend further due to the deep warming sensation created by the enhanced circulation to the treatment area. The more extensibile your tissues are, the less likely they are to strain or sprain.
The Shoulder T•Shellz Wrap® is a highly effective therapy tool for people suffering from rotator cuff and general shoulder injuries - such as a tear in your shoulder muscle, tendon or other soft tissue, strain, Tendonitis, tendinopathy, tendinosis, impingement syndrome, shoulder instability, biceps Tenosynovitis, bursitis, frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis), SLAP tear and any pain associated with trigger points, scar tissue, and arthritis.
How long has MendMeShop been in business
We established our firm in December of 2005. Our track record in this field continues to grow and we plan on being around for many decades to come.
What is your return policy? Is it the standard 30 days?
We go above and beyond what other companies offer - we offer a full 60 day money back guarantee with no restocking fees.
AidMyRotatorCuff advisors do not work on commission, so be assured you will only receive fair and objective information.
Learn More About SUPERIOR Frozen Shoulder Treatments
I want to learn more about Shoulder Post Surgery.
I want to learn more about ICE VS HEAT Treatments.
I want to learn more about T•Shellz Wraps.
Living with pain is never easy and we encourage you to call us with any questions you have related to your knee injury. We will do our best to help.
Available Monday to Friday
Sign Up To Our Newsletter:
- There is a lot of information online
- but not all of it is factual. We spend hours per week doing the research... separating fact from fiction. We then present this information in an easy-to-read newsletter, generally sent once per month.